miércoles, 30 de agosto de 2017

Post 3 - How to perform a peer review

Peer review? It is the first time that I listened to that word. Just like teacher Patricio taught us, it was a “Wow word” for the first moment I saw it. So I had to look for information, and I realize that a peer review is something that I know since I started the university.
In general, in the science it is completely important and necessary the investigation area. And when someone does one, there are several people (the “reviewers”) that evaluate the work of the investigation that you have done. They evaluate the quality, the creativity and the validity. Three aspects that I consider that are very important in a serious investigation.
How to perform a peer review? In the following part I will show you the steps that I believe are the most important to do it.
First of all you have to know the structure of that the journal is asking you to follow. Then do a “skim- read” while you are asking to yourself some questions that guide your job of reviewing. Also you have to see all the major flaws that you find in the reading. After you finish the first two steps, you should write the first two paragraphs; one with the research question addressed and the second the contribution of the work. Then, you should do another reading to the investigation, but this time you have to focus more on the details. And finally is time to structure your report.

So they are the principal steps, now is your time to do a peer review! Good luck! 

2 comentarios:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the post's topic. And yes! you are right when mentioning that peer-reviewing might be helpful in a short term future. Researching requires various aspects of co-working, collaborating and peer assessment. The video I left for you gave you some insights of how to do it, the challenge is to be focused on your task and not being biased by the research project and the person behind the hard work.
    You also mentioned quality, creativity and validity when doing a scientific research. These three words should go along the whole process of researching.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. My beautiful Clau! I really liked your post I think that you rescued the most important points of the steps to do a good peer review. I think that we are always doing a peer review, in every work or activity, since school we are helping others with their manuscripts. I loved the three aspects that you mentioned because in the most of cases we aren't conscious about them but they describe the essence of a good job. Now I have no doubt that we will focus in those things to improve our futures texts.

    ResponderEliminar